Dussehra and Diwali are around the corner, and now is the time to get your home festive ready. Here are some simple and smart tips to give your interiors a festive touch without spending a fortune.
* Good lighting can easily set the right mood. Light up your home in layers with some ornate lighting fixtures and lamps.
* Bring out the prized centerpieces for your coffee table and dining table.
* Use copper and brass crockery when guests come calling.
* Add mirrors with embellished or copper-toned frames to add a little bling to your interiors.
* Fresh flowers and scented candles are ideal for those who want to keep the decor understated.
* Use traditional hand-crafted fabrics and prints as wall hangings, bed and cushion covers. Silks, chanderi, fabrics with batik or block prints and zari embroidery are all the rage. You can also add some traditional carpets.
* Instead of painting the whole house, use one prominent wall and paint it with a pretty motif or adorn it with a decal or wall hanging to add to the festive spirit.
* Highlight a wall by painting it in cheerful earthy warm hues like solar yellow, rustic red and emerald green.
* Ensure your towels, napkins, table runner and door mats are in the same vibrant shade to keep symmetry going.